Because it’s the end of the year and because we love lists at the NFB, I wanted to tell to you about this year’s Top 10 Canadian Films.
Put together by the Toronto International Film Festival (TIFF) team since 2001, this list celebrates Canadian cinema and gives the public a chance to see some of the best films produced locally over the past year.
A jury of movie makers, programmers, journalists and professionals from the film industry vote for the best films of the year (10 shorts and 10 features).Two of our own NFB films were selected as part of the Best Shorts of 2010: The Lipsett Diaries by Theodore Ushev and I Was a Child of Holocaust Survivors by Ann Marie Fleming.
Here are the lists:
The Top 10 feature films (in alphabetical order) :
- Les amours imaginaires (Heartbeats) by Xavier Dolan
- Barney’s Version by Richard J. Lewis
- Curling by Denis Côté
- The High Cost of Living by Deborah Chow
- Incendies by Denis Villeneuve
- Last Train Home by Lixin fan
- Modra by Ingrid Veninger
- Splice by Vincenzo Natali
- Trigger by Bruce McDonald
- Trois temps après la mort d’Anna (Mourning for Anna) by Catherine Martin
The Top 10 short films :
- Above the Knee by Greg Atkins
- Les fleurs de l’âge by Vincent Biron
- I Was a Child of Holocaust Survivors by Ann Marie Fleming
- The Legend of Beaver Dam by Jerome Sable
- The Little White Cloud That Cried by Guy Maddin
- Lipsett Diaries by Theodore Ushev
- Marius Borodine by Emanuel Hoss-Desmarais
- Mokhtar by Halima Ouardini
- On the Way to the Sea by Tao Gu
If you’re in Toronto, you’ll have the chance to see the movies at the TIFF Bell Lightbox, 350 King Street West (Reitman Square), from Jan. 20th to Feb. 1st, 2011. Tickets can be found here.
Enjoy watching these great Canadian films!